Saturday, September 7, 2013

DC Diversions: Ekko


DC Diversions is a new feature here at OTBP that will take a look at some of the more obscure characters and hidden gems among the DC universe. Today's diversion is Ekko, a story that was featured in three issues (#4, 5 and 6) of New Talent Showcase in 1984.

New Talent Showcase was an idea DC came up with to give an opportunity to aspiring writers and artists who wanted to make it big in the comics industry. Written by Rich Margopoulos and drawn by Steve Lightle, Ekko tells the story of one Dr. Simon Hawks, who is somehow hiding a secret project, an Echoic Kinetic Kilocycle Oscillator (aka EKKO) suit...in his lab at the hospital. When his brother arrives to the hospital badly injured, Hawks dons the suit in an effort to protect his brother, where over the three issues we learn he is involved in a plot devised by a villain called the Crimeking.


Things don't start off too well for Dr. Hawks in the Ekko suit. It's going to take a bit of luck and a dash of skill to survive the next chapter as Ekko battles more of the Crimekings' hit men, and a few murder-balls...


The final chapter closes in as Dr. Hawks steps away from his love life situation and again dons the Ekko suit in an effort to stop the Crimeking and his cronies once and for all.


The Ekko origin might end up as overambitious and hokey to some, but to the writer's credit it is not easy to weave together an origin story in three short chapters without a little campiness here and there.

What really stands out here are Lightle's layouts and artwork. He did an incredible job in his debut for DC, and his artwork really gave life to Margopoulos' story. It's safe to say that Lightle's effort literally paid off, as DC hired him on to pencil for The Legion of Super-Heroes, where he penciled various issues and covers for that series up until 1988.

I hope you enjoyed this first entry for DC Diversions. More to come soon!





13 comments:

Thank you for your kind words and the effort you took to share this story and art. This was my first professional comic book work, although I had produced my own fan-comic (The Power Masters) years earlier. Rich Margopoulos was already a seasoned professional by this time, having worked for Warren publications. This was his debut DC work, and he gave me a lot to work with. Gary Martin's inks are superb, a fact which I remembered years later when I asked to team up with him again for my Doom Patrol issues.

DC had commissioned Rich to do a second set of EKKO stories and had already sent me scripts to pencil. Then suddenly, they asked me to switch my attentions to other DC books. It's a pity that Gary Martin couldn't have come with me on my next few DC assignments. I drew an issue of "Batman and the Outsiders" and a couple of issues of "World's Finest" before being offered the "Legion of Super-Heroes."

Sadly, Rich Margopoulos did not do much more work for DC Comics, although he did submit an Aquaman proposal. It was even reported in some fan publications that Rich and I would be the creative team on a new Aquaman title. Unfortunately the celebration was premature because DC never actually commissioned the series. It might have been great fun, though. Aquaman and Aqualad had been favorites of mine since my childhood.

Strange "water hack" burns 2 lbs overnight

More than 160000 men and women are utilizing a easy and secret "liquids hack" to burn 1-2lbs every night while they sleep.

It is very easy and works on anybody.

Here's how to do it yourself:

1) Grab a clear glass and fill it up half glass

2) And then follow this weight loss hack

and you'll be 1-2lbs skinnier the next day!

The rising geriatric population in developed and developing regions will positively influence the growth of the urinalysis market globally. Due to rapid growth in the senior population, the prevalence of age-associated diseases such as diabetes, liver, and kidney diseases are expected to increase significantly.

Also read: acetic anhydride market | Tobacco Market | Takeitcool

It feels like yesterday when I was crazy about these comics being a student and now I am here providing the Best Assignment Help Services to students. I remember I never missed any comic series; be it in the form of a magazine, in a newspaper, or on the internet.

Oh wow Again very helpful! Thanks for sharing it is important for me. And I am also super excited to share new blog that will help you with the cheapest way where you can easilyunderstand WHAT CAN STUDENTS EXPECT FROM AN ACADEMIC ASSESSMENT?

As a busy university student, I understand the difficulties of juggling coursework, extracurricular activities, and work-life balance. That's why I've recently discovered the benefits of using assignment writing services. This service write my assignment provide top-notch assistance from experienced writers who are experts in their respective fields.

Expert help with History assignmentoffer the guidance and support you need to overcome these obstacles. These services provide you with access to experienced historians and researchers who can assist in developing well-researched, insightful, and articulate assignments. As the pressure to excel academically mounts, many students seek assistance through various channels. This is where help with assignments come into play, providing a lifeline for those in need of guidance and support in their academic journey.

This comment has been removed by the author.

Unlock the doors to your dream job by availing of our Job Application Form Writing Service Ireland. Our skilled writers understand the intricacies of the Irish job market, tailoring each application to showcase your strengths and unique qualifications.

Many Thanks for posting this. I owned this issue back in 85, and loved the Ekko series for its beautiful art, vivid colours and straightforward storytelling. It has always stuck with me.
When I moved overseas in the 90s I had to leave 99% of my comics behind, including this one. Seeing it here brings back a lot of good memories, of a simpler time in comics. Cheers, and thanks again.

Ekko's DC adventures, likely featuring the time-manipulating hero from Teen Titans.
With strong pressure to find Business Dissertation Ideas, we came to the aid of Native Assignment Help UK. They have diverse dissertation topics to help me with this, and it allowed me to narrow down what I wanted to research in line with my interests. Their extensive list of Dissertation Topics For Business saved my life as it opened new angles for me. It made me think more creatively and helped me find a unique approach. Today, I feel encouraged and can do my dissertation with confidence at last. Thanks for your support!

Post a Comment