Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fanzine Fever: A+Plus #2 (Megaton, 1977)


A while back I wrote about a strange fanzine called A+Plus #1. The stories inside were pretty obscure and off-the-wall, and I had wondered about the second issue after seeing this cover above, with a giant Gargoyle in a business suit. It's a neat cover, and I've finally got my hands on a copy.

The featured story in this issue is called "The Adventures of the Gargoyle and Pinkie-My-Eye", a 25-pager by Joel Stolinsky, who also did the "Stargod" story in A+Plus #1. I am a fan of Stolinsky's underground art style, and his page layouts are fantastic.

It's about a Wizard that brings a gargoyle statue to life to help a young woman called Punkie on a secret mission. A U.F.O. has been sighted, some girls are missing, a strange soda pop machine is involved, and even Klaatu (renamed as Mort) from the 50's sci-fi classic film "The Day The Earth Stood Still" makes an appearance.

To say there is a lot of stuff going on in this story would be an understatement. I believe this may be the only place you can read this story in it's entirety on the Net, so hang on tight and enjoy the ride.


Quite a story, huh? The further Adventures of the Gargoyle and Punkie-My-Eye was promised for A+Plus #3, so I may have to seek that one out and post it in the future. As for Joel Stolinsky, it looks like he has gone on to become a successful graphic designer. You can view his works over at his website graphiceye.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment